The children of Ecuador are beautiful and interesting. Those I have observed so far are startlingly independent. Young school-agers walk miles across Quito alone and toddlers beg with amazing skill and patience. Yesterday in Mindo, I saw a preschooler scape up old wet crackers off the ground and eat them; her parents were nowhere near. Children happily play high up the trees, ride patched up bikes, and roll old tires in empty lots. My heart aches with the awareness of their lack, and at the same time, swells at the simplicity of their joys.
The children of Ecuador are beautiful and interesting. Those I have observed so far are startlingly independent. Young school-agers walk miles across Quito alone and toddlers beg with amazing skill and patience. Yesterday in Mindo, I saw a preschooler scape up old wet crackers off the ground and eat them; her parents were nowhere near. Children happily play high up the trees, ride patched up bikes, and roll old tires in empty lots. My heart aches with the awareness of their lack, and at the same time, swells at the simplicity of their joys.
ReplyDeleteWow... but it's not hard to believe.
ReplyDeleteMaria
I am sure there is so much to be in awe of.
ReplyDelete