Sunday, January 31, 2010
This week in Ecuador
I've been in Ecuador for 4 weeks. My status- healthy and homesick. Here's the latest news: Just as Rena and I finished eating in a restaurant, an elderly woman approached us and asked for the uneaten food on our plates. Frozen in shock, we watched her scrape our chicken bones and leftover crumbs into a dirty bowl which she then tied beneath her shirt. She thanked us profusely and I was unable to hold back my tears... Two friends received counterfeit $5.00 bills in Quito this week....... I have become dangerously addicted to coconut flavored ice cream....... I'm getting on the wrong bus less frequently these days........TV channels have been suspended and citizens continue to be arrested for making negative gestures or comments about President Correa. (Free speech is quite limited here in Ecuador).......Amidst a very crowded Otavalo street market my friend lost her sacks of souvenirs. We had shopped for over four hours and afterward she suddenly realized that her purchases were missing. We got off the bus which we had just boarded to return to Quito, and desperately retraced our steps. There were thousands of people in the market and hundreds of taxis cruising the congested streets. After a while we gave up, tired, frustrated and in despair over a day ruined. As we were heading back to the bus station, we looked up and there was the same taxi driver we had ridden with earlier. He gestured to us and we discovered that he had actually been looking for us. He returned Rena's things and we were so amazed. Considering the immense scope of the market and crowd, it was a true MIRACLE!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The pictures are great Donna! Your experiences will stay with you for so long...I'm glad you can share them.
ReplyDeleteWhen do you return?
I return on March 31st. Thanks for keeping up with me Debbie, it really means a lot!
ReplyDeleteI am loving the pics--i miss u
ReplyDeletebrenda
yeah--it finally works--i have been trying to post for a long time and it never worked. see u soon BC
ReplyDeleteBren, i miss u too, MUCHO!
ReplyDeleteWow, lucky friend.
ReplyDeleteMaria